Churchfields Academy recognises the move process between primary and secondary schools as a key transition in a young person’s education and development.
The transfer process is managed by the Transfer & Inclusion Coordinator, Becci Benson, and the member of the Senior Leadership Team with responsibility is Russell Langdown, Deputy Headteacher. Churchfields Academy is proud of the positive links that have been developed with our colleagues in our cluster of primary schools.
Schools in the Churchfields cluster are: Drove Primary, Lainesmead Primary, Lawn Primary, Oaktree Nursery & Primary, and Mountford Manor Primary. In addition, most Year 7 intakes have children from a further 17 primary schools from across Swindon.
Year 6 pupils and their parents receive a full package of support to help them upon transfer to Key Stage 3, including:
- Monthly bulletins, letters and a Parental Guide providing vital information about the school.
- Becci Benson and the Deputy Headteacher host informal ‘transfer meetings’ in afternoons or evenings at each of the cluster primary schools to discuss transfer and answer questions that parents may have.
- Parents / carers also visit Churchfields for the Year 6 information evening to meet their child’s new Tutor.
- ‘Meet the I LEARN Tutor’ evenings
- ‘WOW Days’ for Year 5 pupils to experience exciting learning days at Churchfields
- ‘Artsmad’ events for Year 6 pupils
- For individual concerns, Becci or Helga Maddock (SENDCO) are available for telephone or email contact, or to meet in person with parents/carers.
- Churchfields pupils often visit primary schools with a presentation and to answer any questions that Year 6 pupils may have.
- Yr 6 Transfer Days at for Year 6 pupils where they experience lessons, as well as enjoy a normal day in the life of a Churchfields Academy pupil.
In addition to this; there are numerous occasions throughout the academic year where almost every curriculum area at Churchfields makes links with Key Stage 2 pupils, such as: Junior Sports Leaders, attending performances and exhibitions in the Arts.
Becci Benson spends time in the Year 6 classrooms of all schools to meet every single child who is transferring to Churchfields; this particularly supports pupils who feel vulnerable about transfer.
It is vitally important that significant information is shared between the primary and secondary schools regarding pupils’ backgrounds, social and emotional wellbeing, academic achievement, gifts and talents, Special Educational Needs, medical concerns, and language acquisition for EAL students; this information forms the foundation for many basic school functions when the pupils start in Year 7 and is given high priority by Churchfields and our colleagues in primary schools.
For individual concerns, Becci or Helga Maddock (SENDCO) are available for telephone or email contact, or to meet in person with parents/carers.
Uniform Direct Price list
Should you require any further information or support with KS2/3 transfer, then please do not hesitate to make contact with staff who will be pleased to respond:
Tours of Churchfields are available during the school day for prospective parents and pupils; please contact Tracy Prescott email@example.com for further information.